Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter (Mark III)
Your PayPal receipt is your order confirmation. There is no separate email confirmation until shipment takes place.
This Smart AdapterTM has the following features:
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- Wide open button (opposite of depth-of-field preview function) makes manual focusing easy.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo cam ball heads.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
Disclaimer: we are NOT licensed, approved or endorsed by Sony or Canon.
EF lenses (see below for list of tested lenses)
EF-S lenses (see note 1)
Image stabilization (IS)
Electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
EXIF (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
P, A, S, M exposure modes
Autofocus (see autofocus support section below)
Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders (see note 3)
Auto magnify (see note 2)
Contax N mount lenses modified to Canon EF by Conurus
Contax 645 NAM-1 adapter modified to Canon EF by Conurus
Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses in Canon EF mount (see note 3)
Lens correction such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion
Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion)
Stacking another lens mount adapter on top (see note 4)
- Vignetting at corners may occur for certain EF-S lenses because they are designed to cover a 1.6x crop image circle but Sony NEX has a 1.5x crop sensor.
- Requires lenses supporting distance information.
- A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
- For example, some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may cause a short-circuit with the electronic contacts of the Smart Adapter™ and cause damage to the Smart Adapter™ and/or camera body.
Tested Camera Bodies
- NEX-FS700 (autofocus works only in photo mode, but is disabled in movie capture mode)
- NEX-FS100 (autofocus works only in photo mode, but is disabled in movie capture mode)
The following lenses have been tested for autofocus operation. Minimum firmware version required shown in parenthesis. Thanks to the community for reporting success with lenses shown in bold.
Canon EF primes
EF 14/2.8L II USM
EF 24/1.4L II USM
EF 35/1.4L USM (Ver.19)
EF 50/1.2L USM
EF 85/1.2L II USM
EF 85/1.8 USM (Ver.18)
EF 100/2.8 USM macro (Ver.17)
EF 135/2L USM (Ver.17)
EF 200/2.8L II USM (Ver.17)
EF 300/2.8L IS USM
Extender EF 1.4x III
Extender EF 2x (mark I)
Canon EF zooms
EF 8-15/4L USM fisheye
EF 17-40/4L USM
EF 20-35/2.8L (Ver.18)
EF 22-55/4-5.6 USM
EF 24-70/2.8L USM II
EF 28-80/3.5-5.6 II (Ver.18)
EF 28-90/4-5.6 III
EF 35-350/3.5-5.6L (Ver.18)
EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM II
EF 70-200/4L USM
EF 70-200/4L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 100-300/5.6 (non-L, not USM, push-pull zoom) (Ver.18)
EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM
EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 60/2.8 macro USM
17-70/2.8-4 DC OS HSM (Ver.15)
30/1.4 DC HSM old version (Ver.18)
SP 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD A007 (Ver.15)
SP 70-200/2.8 Di VC USD (Ver.17)
Tokina (full frame)
AT-X PRO SD 11-16/2.8 (IF) DX (Ver.15)
- Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS HSM may occasionally run into a focus accuracy issue at the telephoto end.
Manual Focus Only
The following lenses have been tested with previous firmware versions with manual focus, aperture control, image stabilization (if applicable) and EXIF support. Autofocus is supported only for those lenses marked with an asterisk (*) on NEX-5R/6
Canon EF primes
EF 14/2.8L (mark I)
EF 24/1.4L USM (mark I)
EF 24/2.8 (old version, non-IS)
EF 50/1.4 USM
EF 50/1.8 II
MP-E 65/2.8 macro
EF 85/1.2L (mark I)
EF 400/5.6L USM
Canon EF zooms
EF 24-70/2.8L (mark I)
EF 24-105/4L IS USM*
EF 28-70/3.5-4.5 II
Contax N modified by Conurus
Makro-Sonnar 100/2.8 (Ver.21)
Sigma (full frame)
24-70/2.8 EX HSM
24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM
50/1.4 DG HSM (Ver.17)*
50/2.8 DG Macro
70-200/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
12-24/4.5-5.6 EX ASPH
17-35/2.8-4 EX HSM ASPH
18-125/3.5-5.6 DC OS HSM
30/1.4 EX DC HSM new version (Ver.17)
SP 70-200/2.8 Di LD A001
AT-X PRO 28-70/2.8
ZE Distagon 15/2.8
ZE Distagon 21/2.8
ZE Distagon 35/2
ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
This Smart Adapter is also compatible with fully manual lenses which have no electrical contacts. Customers have reported success with the following fully manual lenses.
- Samyang 35/1.4
- Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
- Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
- Lenses not listed above are not tested and they may or may not work. We do our best to resolve any compatibility issue you find but firmware updates are by factory service only and there is a nominal shipping/handling charge.
- Mount lens on EF Extender 1.4x or 2x first before attaching both on Metabones Smart Adapter.
- Mount Contax 645 lens on modified NAM-1 first before attaching both on Metabones Smart Adapter.
Autofocus is supported, with the following known limitations.
- Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts.
- Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus may be disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
- On NEX camera bodies in camcorder form factor (e.g. FS series), autofocus may be available only in photo mode but not in movie capture mode.
- Continuous AF is not supported.
- DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported.
- For non-camcorder camera bodies (e.g. NEX-7), during movie capture, if the subject moves to a different distance, half-press the shutter release button to re-activate autofocus and lock onto the subject again. Since autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage.
- The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
Since its inception, Metabones® has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones® uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
Metabones® Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter (Mark III) follows this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Satin surface finish - just like your OEM lens and camera mounts.
- Precise fit and solid connection - lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.