Canon EF Lens to Sony E Mount T CINE Smart Adapter
|Features and benefits
- New positive-lock EF lens mount. (Patent granted).
- Store EXIF data (lens name, focal length and maximum/minimum aperture) for up to 2 manual lenses in the adapter.
- If both your lens supports optical image stabilization (OIS) and your camera supports sensor-shift, in-body image stabilization (IBIS), the choice is yours on which one to use, or have both of them work in harmony.
- Smooth iris support with the latest Canon (2009+), Tamron (SP series 2013+) and Sigma (2016+) lenses.
- Custom function button (called Focus Hold button) assignable to more than 50 functions, such as Aperture Preview and Eye-AF, on A9, A7 series, A6500 and A6300.
- Dedicated switch controls in-body image stabilization (IBIS) on Sony cameras equipped with SteadyShot INSIDE.
- Sony E-mount teleconverter support.
- Compatible with Sony FS7 Mark II camera.
- Cinema EOS lens (CN-E Compact-Servo) support, including power zoom, AF and auto iris.
- Rubber gasket protects E-mount connection from dust and moisture.
- Detachable tripod foot, compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
- AF-C tracking during high-speed drive at up to 10fps on Sony A9, A7III and A7RIV.
- Fast contrast-detection AF on all E-mount cameras with most lenses.
- Pure phase-detection autofocus support on A9, A7RIII, A7III, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300.
- Supports 5-axis in-body image stabilization of A7III, A7RIII, A7II, A7RII and A7SII. (Distance information from lens required; 3-axis IBIS if the lens does not transmit distance information.)
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- LED indicator shows operation mode, OIS (optical image stabilization) activity and communication status.
- Efficient switched-mode power supply.
- Supports image stabilization (IS) lenses.
- Supports electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
- EXIF support (focal length, aperture, lens name)
- Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders, A9, A7 series, A6500 and A6300 (lens with distance information support required).
- Auto magnify (lens with distance information support required)
- Auto APS-C Size Capture on full-frame cameras with Canon EF-S lenses and many third-party DX lenses.
- Felt material flocked inside the opening to reduce internal reflection.
- Fits both EF and EF-S lenses. (Vignetting at corners may occur with certain EF-S lenses because they are designed to cover a 1.6x crop image circle but Sony APS-C has a 1.5x crop factor.)
- AF-C is supported on A9II, A9, A7SIII, A7RIV, A7IV, A7III, A7RIII, A7RII, A7II, A6600, A6500, A6400, A6300 and A6100 only.
- Continuous video AF is functional in Advanced mode only, but performance may be unsatisfactory.
- On Sony A9, only phase-detection autofocus is supported. Contrast-detection autofocus may not work satisfactorily.
- AF may not work if the maximum aperture of the lens plus any EF Extender or other teleconverter attached is smaller than f/8.
- The first few autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
- Autofocus may have difficulty locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Sony E-mount 1.4x TC (model SEL14TC) will fit and work but AF performance may be unsatisfactory and there may be significant vignetting with some telephoto lenses.
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the design and working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
- No support for lens corrections such as peripheral shading, CA and distortion.
- Use of Canon Compact-Servo Cinema lenses such as CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 for still photography is not supported. (Functional, but slower than lenses designed for still photography.)
- Some EF-mount lenses may make audible noises during iris changes and autofocus, which may be picked up by the built-in microphone of the camera during video recording. Use of an external microphone is advised. Some of the recently-introduced Canon-brand lenses are very quiet, however.
- Early Tamron VC lenses such as the AF 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (model A20), AF 18-270/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO (model B003), SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] (model B005) may not be able to freely switch between OIS and IBIS because they may not report IS activity status. Later Tamron VC lenses equipped with USD or PZD focus motors are fine.
- Some aftermarket battery grips may cause the aperture to change erroneously. This is a bug in the aftermarket battery grip but NOT arising from the Metabones Smart Adapter. Turn off the aftermarket battery grip or use a genuine Sony battery grip.
Disclaimer: we are NOT licensed, approved or endorsed by Sony or Canon.
Tested Camera Bodies:
- A9 II, A9, A7R IV, A7R III, A7R II, A7R, A7S III, A7S II, A7c, A7S, A7IV, A7III, A7II, A7
- A6600, A6500, A6400, A6300, A6000, A5000
- PXW-FX9, FX6, FX3 *
- PXW-FS5M2, PXW-FS7M2, PXW-FS5, PXW-FS7, NEX-FS700, NEX-FS100
- VENICE *
- NEX-EA50, NEX-VG900, NEX-VG30, NEX-VG20, NEX-VG10
- NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5R, NEX-5N, NEX-5, NEX-C3, NEX-3
* for using the VENICE, FX and FS series cameras, please switch the adapter to Advance Mode(LED in red colour).
Lens Compatibility Chart
|Fast AF on all E-mount cameras. Max 10fps AF-C with A9 (Green Mode) and A7III / A7RIV (Advanced Mode)
||Phase-detect AF on A9, A7RIV, A7III, A7RIII, A7RII, A7II, A6600, A6500, A6400, A6300, A6100 only. On other cameras, may not be able to contrast-detect AF accurately if at all. Max 3fps with A7III.
Canon EF8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye*
Canon EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM*
Canon EF17-35mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Canon EF-S18-55/3.5-5.6 IS II*
Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Nano USM*
Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM*
Canon EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM*
Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 III USM
Canon EF28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF40mm f/2.8 STM*
Canon EF50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF50mm f/1.4 USM (1993)
Canon EF50mm f/1.8 STM*
Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF70-200mm f/4L IS II USM*
Canon EF70-200mm f/4L USM (not IS)
Canon EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM*
Canon EF85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon EF100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro*
Canon EF100mm f/2.8 USM Macro (2000)
Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM*
Canon EF135mm f/2L USM
Canon EF200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF300mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF Extender 1.4x (all versions)
Canon EF Extender 2x (all versions)
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4x (note 1)
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 2x (note 1)
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art 013
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM
Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art 013
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art 013
Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art 016*
Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art 017
Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 VC HLD B023*
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD A012 (G1)
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD B008
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 VC USD A007 (G1)
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC USD F013*
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC USD A005
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX ATX Pro
Canon EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM (Mark I)
Canon EF28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II (1988)
Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF35mm f/1.4L USM (Mark I)
Canon EF50mm f/1.8 II (1990)
Canon EF100mm f/2 USM
Canon EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (Mark I)
Contax N Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f/2.8
Contax N Planar 50mm f/1.4
Contax N Vario Sonnar 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5
Contax N Planar 85mm f/1.4
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM (not Art)
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II VC B005
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO B003
Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO A18
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO A20
Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO A06
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VC USD A011 (G1)*
|Phase-detect AF on A9, A7III, A7RIII, A7RII, A7II, A6500, A6400 and A6300. Not known if other cameras autofocus satisfactorily using contrast-detection, and it is not known if the maximum AF-C drive speed of 10fps with A7III & A7RIV can be achieved or not.
||Manual focus only
Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 COMPACT-SERVO EF (note 3)
Canon CN-E 70-200mm T4.4 COMPACT-SERVO EF (note 3)
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM
Canon EF 35mm f/2L IS USM
Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 (Ver I)
Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS HSM Contemporary
Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009 (G1)*
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (not VC)
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II
Canon TS-E 17/4L
Canon TS-E 24/3.5L
Canon TS-E 90/2.8L Marco
Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 18/3.5
Zeiss ZE Distagon 21/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 25/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2
Zeiss ZE Planar 50/1.4
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
Zeiss ZE Planar 85/1.4
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
Focus confirmation "chip" (e.g. Dandelion)
Tokina opera 50mm f/1.4 FF (note 2)
* with smooth iris support
Note 1: Note colour dot next to the words "Made in Japan" on the housing. Blue dot, which is the latest version, is preferred. May have compatibility issues when Kenko is used with certain lenses and/or stacked on top of another teleconverter. Stacking not supported except if both are the blue dot version.
Note 2: Unstable due to unusually high current requirement.
Note 3: Use of Canon Compact-Servo Cinema lenses such as CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 for still photography is not supported. (Functional, but slower than lenses designed for still photography.)
EF-E Product Matrix
Since its inception, Metabones has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
All Metabones Adapters follow this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish. Our new Smart AdapterTM series of products add industry-leading electronic interfacing technology from Canada, with true electronic control of the lens' aperture directly from the camera body.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Satin surface finish - just like your OEM lens and camera mounts.
- Precise fit and solid connection - lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.
Our Smart AdapterTM series adapters have the following additional features
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
- EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture.